John survived one of the most catastrophic attacks ever made against the police department. After waking up from a 17-month coma, he can’t remember much – except that his partner, Detective Martin Pelham, was killed; his girlfriend, Anna Moore, left him after the attack; and he lost one of his legs and is now outfitted with a highly sophisticated synthetic appendage.
Suffering from depression, mental atrophy, trauma-onset OCD, PTSD and the “psychological rejection of his synthetic body part,” John returns to work at the behest of longtime ally Captain Sandra Maldonado (Lili Taylor). By mandate, every cop must partner with a robot. And despite his passionate aversion to androids, John is paired up with a battle-ready MX-43. He abruptly terminates the partnership, however, after the robot discovers incriminating information about him. So technician Rudy Lom (Mackenzie Crook) introduces John to Dorian (Michael Ealy), a discontinued android with unexpected emotional responses. Although such responses were deemed flaws, it is in these “flaws” that John relates to Dorian most. After all, John is part-machine now, and Dorian is part-human. John and Dorian’s understanding of each other not only complements them, it connects them.
As he adjusts to working with his new partner, John also must learn to get along with his new colleagues, including the eager and somewhat starstruck Detective Valerie Stahl (Minka Kelly) and the distrustful Detective Richard Paul (Michael Irby), who does not welcome John back with open arms.
John Kennex and Sandra Maldonado have a prior personal history. He is the only person in their division who will call her Sandra. There is a considerable amount of mutual respect with them both and while he might not always agree with all her decisions, he does respect her, but will also call her out on decisions he disagrees with. She is like a big sister to John.
Richard Paul is not pleased to see John's return to active duty. Richard had become the Captains go-to-detective in the division while Kennex was on indefinite medical leave. John's return brings out the envy and distrust in their relationship, which is not assisted by the botched raid Case #34P-C91244 led by John which resulted in the deaths of people Richard knew.
John has an 'interesting' and slightly fractious relationship with Rudy. They went through some things prior to John's accident and their interactions are colored with a friendly sparring banter.
John had been involved in a romantic relationship with Anna Moore. When John awoke from his coma, 17 months after the ambush, Anna had disappeared. He discovered that she was the one to set off the parabolic pulse charge that nearly took his life. He had not known of her part in the ambush until he visited the Recollectionist to unearth his memories from the raid. While he had kept a message saved from her from 738 (2 years and 8 days) days prior to his return to work, where Anna was apparently overseas on a holiday and would not be back to see John for another week. He deleted the message after discovering that she was the one to inform inSyndicate of the police raid and had partaken in the ambush.
John Kennex and Valerie Stahl seem to have a mutual respect for one another as they also share love for Bourbon and Soccer.
Personal investigation into inSyndicateEdit
John Kennex was personally investigating Anna Moore, the ambush and inSyndicate. He had a series of electronic sticky notes up on the glass divider walls in his apartment. The order that Kennex looks at the notes is listed below, as well as the color of the notes.
- Anna gave me something? (yellow)
- inSyndicate strikes Precinct. No Anna. (yellow)
- What is Goshen? (green)
- Find Anna looking through files. She claims looking for photos. (yellow)
- Recollectionist: Anna cluster triggered. Mistake? Maybe not. Begin Membliss. (yellow)
- Anna brings up inSyndicate. I say too much. (blue)
- First trip to Recollectionist. Anna cluster triggered incomplete. (yellow)
- myklon Red. (blue)
- Parisian underground protests. (green)
- Parisian underground protests. (blue)
- Anna disappears, then returns. (green)
- Anna arrives in Rome (blue)
- "Anna Moore" (purple)
- St. Christopher (orange)
- Where's Anna? (yellow)
- Anna disappears, then returns. (blue)
- Keynote at Oxford? (green)
- Investigate Anna. All returns clean. (yellow)
- 032302081405 (yellow)
- Anna brings up inSyndicate. I say too much. (green)
- inSyndicate raid scheduled (blue)
- inSyndicate strikes Precinct. No Anna. (blue)
- inSyndicate Raid. Where is Anna? (orange)
- Assassination of Italian Prime Minister. (purple)
- When did she give me the doll? (green)
Awards, Commendations, CitationsEdit
Medal for Valor
Police Life-Saving Medal
Excellent Police Duty
Marksmanship: Expert 
Personnel Notes (For eyes only - Clearance D5 and above)Edit
Det. Kennex has served with distinction and high honors in the department. Often characterized as an “unconventional thinker” and “driven” in annual performance evaluations. Led investigation and tactical raid of Case #34P-C91244 last year. Kennex’s team was ambushed. KIA: Tactical squad Bravo One-Seven and Kennex’s partner (Martin Pelham, Det.).
Kennex has returned to active duty after an 18-month medical leave. (MedFile #19FFPD, See SubSection: AMPUTATION, See SubSection: COMA) Initial PolPsych eval suggests Kennex may suffer from depression, trauma-onset OCD, PTSD and psychological rejection of his prosthetic limb. (Eval by Tilden, File #TF102-KJ) 
- John has two tattoos. One on the bicep of each arm. On the left side it appears to be a small rectangular marking and on the right, a dragon, three clawed, in the Japanese style.
- He is allergic to cats.
- Dorian created an online dating profile for him, as Dr. Richard and with the username "Capricorn Who Loves Danger".
- John has stated that his ideal woman would be smarter than him, have brown eyes - soulful, brunette hair and be of average height. He is not averse to dating a fellow workmate in the Police force.
- His middle name is Reginald, as his father was a fan of Elton John, whose original name is Reginald Dwight.
- John was taken ice fishing by his father when he was eleven at Lake McFarland. He fell through the ice, but was rescued by his father.
- During his time at the Police Academy, only Trevor Cooper was the better shot or faster runner than John.
- John can not cook. His preferred style of food is Asian, as shown by his marked preference in eateries.
- John's preferred aftershave is New Spice Special Reserve.
- John's mother used to keep money in a sock.
- A number of guitars were seen on stands in his apartment, including an acoustic and various electric guitars.
- During High School, John was the quarterback for his school team. He was All-City three years in a row, still holds the records for most passing yards - 3,256, and still has the record for the most touchdowns. He was nicknamed the 'White Cheetah' because he was so fast (according to him).
- John has been attending weekly Anger Management Therapy sessions. Also at these sessions are Jim, Marty and Anil.
- John's phone number is 555-0173 and his home address in District 07 is 5560 Sequoia Boulevard. This is contradicted in a later episode where his home address is listed as 419 E Center Avenue on his driver's license. It was mentioned that the driver's licence is an old one.
- He has no sense of feeling in his synthetic leg. It is also stronger than a normal human limb.
- His driver's license number is 2895621 and was issued in Quadrant Four on 7 June 2046 and will expire on 7 June 2051. It is a class C license with no restrictions.
- His date of birth is 7 June 2007 (contradicting Dorian's claim of him being a Capricorn).
- John is 6'1 and weighs 160 pounds.
"Don’t scan my testicles...ever again.”
- - John Kennex to Dorian in the cruiser (Skin)
"Why don’t you go read a how to be a cop manual?"
- - John Kennex to Richard Paul after Maya Vaughn left the Police Precinct. (Blood Brothers)
"Who's a happy toaster?"
- - John Kennex to Dorian (Simon Says)
"What genius put you in charge?"
- - John Kennex to Richard Paul (Simon Says)