Lila died in 2037 from an apparent accidental drowning. Mrs. Hoving believed that Scarlett Davis and Elinor Church were responsible for Lila's death as they had been friends of Lila and were with her the night she died. They both lied about being friends with Lila after the fact.
Mrs. Hoving hired a private detective and he obtained recordings of the girls which proved that they had been friends. She passed this information onto the police, but was later told that the recordings were blank and it was being blamed on a magnetic surge.
Harvey Davis, the father of Scarlett, had heard that she had hired the private investigator and he paid money for the investigator and the evidence to disappear. She discovered that Avery had arranged this and told him and the other parents that they would all pay for it.
Julian Wollenberg had a recording from Lila the night she died after taking Vero. In it, Lila reveals that she felt she was never going to be good enough. Julian told Detective John Kennex and Dorian that Lila was under tremendous pressure and that her mother always rode her hard.
Even after the evidence of the recording that Lila took her own life, Mrs. Hoving refused to believe it was caused by anything except the drug.
Investigation into Lila's deathEdit
Mrs. Hoving kept notes and electronic sticky notes on a board in Lila's room tracking her own investigation into the death. The notes placed on the board are as follows:
- Lila meets with Julian Wollenberg (purple note)
- Churches and Davises are suspects. (purple note)
- Mendel Academy ? (yellow note)
- Police won't answer questions about Lila (green note)
- Lila's friend Julian Wollenberg expelled from Mendel for drugs (green note)
- Lila grounded for insubordination (green note)
- Lila drowns (purple note)
- Lila grounded for cutting classes (green note)
- Contact Elinor and Scarlett. They lie and say they were never friends with Lila. (yellow note)
- Scarlett Davis calls Lila, doesn't leave... (purple note)
- Elinor Church calls Lila doesn't leave a message (blue note)
- Lila panic attack #2 (blue note)
- Anniversary of Lila's death (yellow note)
- Lila's death ruled accidental drowning. I don't but it (yellow note)
- Discussed Lila's case with Detective Geary. Cagey. (purple note)
- Hire PI (purple note)
- PI interviews Mr Davis re Lila. Returns cagey (blue note)
- Discussed Lila's death with Mr Davis. Cagey (green note)
- PI interview tapes erased at Police Precinct (purple note)
On some graph paper, the following information was written by Mrs. Hoving.
- ...into who was with Lila the night she died.
- Must make connection to friends
- April 9 - Suspected: with Lila
- Julian Wollenberg
- Elinor Church
- Scarlett Davis
- Marshall ?
- April 10 - P.I. has found recording. Delivered to police. Implication Chruch and Davis girls.
- April 12 - Contacted Police R: Evidence. Tapes were no good. Suspect Cover up - All avenues seem shut down. Avery Davis - seen leaving Police Department 6 PM.
- April 14 - x 4 Contact P.d. J. Dudeck. No answer return. Office.
- April 18 - Still...
- April 22 - J. Dudeck...
Other dates referenced on the notes include March 24, March 25, March 26.